Monday, April 26, 2010

Today I learned

2 things...

1. That the traditional position women give birth in western countries is not the correct way to give birth, and was invented by MALE doctors (again, just like with the pregnancy test) so that the doctor could sit comfortably at vagina height and wait for the baby to crown. This way the doctor was comfortable and had a perfect view. However, this is neither natural or comfortable for the woman, as it puts pressure on the lower back and takes much more effort. The natural and most effective positions to give birth are either on all fours (but I would not be inclined to be in this position in front of a room full of Italians seeing all of my Netherlands, plus the baby would be born face down...isn't that weird?) or the other natural position is in a pop-a-squat, like you are peeing in an alley or pooping in a rice field position. Now THAT I can get down with.














2. BEING PREGNANT MAKES YOUR GUMS BLEED. At least for me it is. I floss every day, but my gums are swollen and red. It sucks. But I will take this over morning sickness any day.

3 comments:

  1. I had swollen gums too... something about the extra chemicals (with your prenatal vitamins) affecting your gums and teeth... I hate to say it, but my mouth bled (just a little) everytime I brushed my teeth while pregnant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have all of this extra blood flow circulating around to help grow that cute little human of yours. Thus this can cause pregnancy induced gingivitis (it will go away once you deliver). This can also cause you to feel like you have a stuffy nose and possibly, oh no, get a bloody nose. This happened to me a couple times. Being pregnant is wild!!

    Also, about the squatting... start practicing now if you plan on popn' a squat to deliver. It takes practice. You wouldn't show up to a marathon and never had ran a at least couple miles. So, I'm guessing you are planning a natural birth? That is spectacular! We should email so I can give you some things that I found helpful.

    BTW- You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete