Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My days are stagnant; I love old people

I literally have nothing to do during the day. I don't have to clean since we hired a cleaning man (which btw men are so much better than women at cleaning other people's houses...they don't get touchy when you point out spots they missed and they are stronger so they can quickly move the couch or unfold the impossible-to-unfold ironing table that was unused before because I refuse to iron, but also because it is very hard to unfold). I can't walk the dog because he is crazy and I am afraid he will pull so hard I will go into labor somewhere between la pizzeria and the gas station. I shouldn't even really go for walks at all because I have deduced that a lot of walking is a trigger for back pain and slippery disks. I started to go to step classes again after my 3 month mark, but am scared now that I have had sciatica.

So...I fill my mornings by going to this Postural class at my gym. This is the HIGHLIGHT certainly of my day, and maybe even of my life thus far. This class is designed for keeping elderly (old) people in good shape, helping them to regain or maintain movement of their joints and muscles. They are all over 80. This one guy, probably late 80's/early dementia, asks me EVERY-SINGLE-DAY if I am the instructor of the class. When I say no, I am a student just like you, he asks me if I play volleyball and if so if I would like to play with him. Then his friends laugh and I just nod and laugh. I can't figure out if he just forgets that he asks me this every day, or if it is all a joke on me.

They are like school kids out of control. The instructor always has to tell them to stop talking and to pay attention. They make fun of each other and today they said that another old man didn't come because he had gas.

Everyone looks at me weird when I come in, and I don't think they have quite started to realize yet that I am pregnant (my bump seems to be at a standstill). But at the end of my pregnancy, I am totally taking a group photo. I love them.

ps-my back has never felt better.

4 comments:

  1. hey blog buddy! haha so corny! i loved this post, it made me chuckle! chris and i were just talking about old people and how everyone needs to be nicer to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and funny posting! I just read all your postings aloud to Dad and we both enjoyed them. Stay healthy! God bless you and Baby!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete