Thursday, June 17, 2010

Health scare and It's a GIRL!

Since I have a thyroid problem, I have been having my blood tested every 2 weeks to make sure my body is handling all the changes correctly. And as far as the thyroid goes, everything has been smooth sailing, although I have had to double my medications. But, about 2 weeks ago, my blood sugar level was so low, the clinic and my doctor thought it was just an error in the testing because had it really been that low, I would be in the hospital, possibly slipping into a coma!

So my "health team" semi-ignored it but had me schedule another exam a week later to find out the real number of my blood sugar level. Well, Monday night I got the call that the level was actually 2 points LOWER than the previous test. In the morning, I texted my OBGYN and let him know about the results. He called me right away, asked me if I had felt the baby move yet, to which I answered no, I hadn't, and he asked me to come in as soon as I had a chance.

I was terrified. I hadn't felt the baby move yet, but I just thought it was early in the pregnancy. Did this mean what I thought it meant? Why is he asking me to come in and clearing his schedule for me? To make matters worse, Gian was out of town for the morning for work, so he wouldn't be able to make it in time. I had to go confront this on my own. It really was one of those mornings where you fear your whole world is about to change.

I got to my doctors office, and he had me come back right away. I handed him the test results and he just said, "Let's not worry about that for now, let's see if we get a heart beat" (FYI-Italians are very straight forward, to the point).

I sat on the table, naked from my belly down, and waited. It seemed like 9 months passed by as I waited for that doctor to slip the condom on the wand again and lube it up. Once the sonogram began, I immediately saw a tiny hand moving like it was waving to me, telling me "I am ok, mommy". My heart started beating again, I started breathing again, my doctor let out a sigh. Then we listened to the heart, it was beating fast and consistently. Perfect. Then he asked me if I wanted to know the sex. Uh-oh.

I was alone, without Gian, is this cheating if I say yes? Maybe I can just keep the secret and not tell Gian I know until our appointment on the 30th? No, I have to know, and I have to tell Gian. We talk every day about what we think the sex is, what we will do for, and with, the baby, and whether it's Gabriel or Sophia inside my belly, saying good night to each every evening. "Si" I said, "voglio sapere." He responded "Va bene, allora รจ una piccola femminucia."

My heart swelled. "Sophia" I said out loud. It's Sophia. It has been Sophia this whole time. I knew it. I felt it. I told everyone, I could feel it was Sophia inside my belly. I couldn't wait to tell Gian, and if you know me, I couldn't wait to tell everyone, including my dear friend facebook.

I got dressed, and came back to his desk. "Non capisco" he said; he didn't understand how my blood sugar could be so low, and Sophia still healthy, and me not passing out. He thinks it's a fluke, that Sophia is taking so much sugar from me, that the testing mechanism is believing the blood is lower than it really is. Because, as he said, it is really impossible for it to be that low. People go into comas at that level. I have been told to keep juices and candies on me at all times in case I feel like passing out, but I never do, in fact, I feel great. I guess Sophia has already learned how to fool men in uniforms!

I left and called Gian to tell him the news. When I said it was a girl, he just stopped talking. After a long pause, he said he would be back in town in time for a late lunch, and asked if I would join him for a celebration. We laughed about how when I found out I was pregnant, I told him over video chat on Skype, and now for the sex, I had to tell him over the phone.

Later that night, in a pizzeria, we had our first fight regarding Sophia. He wants to spell her name Sofia, I want to spell it Sophia. But that's for another blog post. For now, one thing is for sure: her name will be Sophia (or Sofia) and her middle name will be Maria, for my mother.

Sophia Maria Briulotta. Has a nice ring, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Claudia, this post brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy you and the baby are healthy!! Her name is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel honored!!!
    Beijos e Deus abencoe voce, Gian, and Sophia.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claude,

    I can only imagine what you were feeling. You continue to be in my prayers.

    Also, I'm so excited you are having a GIRL! As you know from one of my previous posts, there have been too many boys lately! Can't wait for McKenna to have a little girl to have tea parties with. Also, I just reconnected with Tasha on FB. She has a girl too (I know you know this, but I was sooo excited)!!

    Also, I love the name SoPHia.

    Keep positive thoughts, Baby Sophia is listening!

    Many hugs and kisses!
    L

    ReplyDelete