Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Life is full of suprises!

So, this past week has been very much about getting prepared for baby Sophia (Sofia). For instance, we decided on the name, as you all are very much aware. My psuedo-sister Alicia brought us tons of her daughter's old baby clothes, shoes, and pink linens. We also chose my sister and brother-in-law as the godparents, and have started preparations for the baptism in America in April. We sent Daniela and Antonio some pink and purple flowers asking on behalf of Sophia if they would do us the honor, with a card in her name! And finally, we went shopping for strollers. I found an awesome stroller in HOT PURPLE which I had decided on, but we held off in order to look at other prices.

Then we went to Croatia and talked the entire time about Sophia this, and Sophia that. "Oh look, Sophia is kicking", "Oh, Sophia can be best friends with Carys (Tasha and Chris' baby) and go visit America with Flavia (Damiano and Aida's baby) for summer breaks to learn English", "Oh, Sophia better not dress like THAT girl or she won't be able to leave the house" etc, etc. This went on all weekend. We have grown very attached to Sophia and how her life will be, how we will raise a girl, etc. Since knowing the sex, we have bonded with our baby in more ways than I thought possible while still in the womb.

Today we went to the doctor for our Morphologica testing, where the doctor tests all the organs and brain and heart development. Everything is perfect with our little baby! In fact, I was a bit worried since I hadn't gained very much weight (I am now up 5 pounds, but at last exam I was down in weight) that the baby was also underweight, but the baby is 9 iches already! That is 2 inches above the average height for this stage! We are going to have a huge baby!

And then the doctor asked us if we wanted to know the sex (this special exam required a different doctor from the last time) we said, "oh we already know, it's a little girl!" She laughed and said, oh no it's not: It is 100 percent a BOY! Can you believe it! I was happy instantly! I mean, it was healthy, I couldn't ask for anything else.

But now, as the reality of it all settles in, I feel a little sad for Sophia. It is impossible to explain, but my husband and I became attached to her. It is like Sophia was there, and now she isn't. I honestly, as any mother knows this to be the truth, don't care if it is a boy or a girl, as long as it is healthy. But it is just a little heartbreaking...for Sophia, to whom we became emotionally attached.

In my last blog, I said that I always knew it was Sophia, well I guess mother's intuition isn't ALWAYS on target. But I will say that this weekend we kept seeing little baby boys at the beach and I kept saying to Gian that I was a little sad it wasn't a boy, and that I hoped the next baby would be male. Well, now it is! It will just take a little adjusting, and I guess I won't be buying that hot purple stoller!

At least I don't have to worry about the spelling anymore....now if only Gian and I could agree on a name...

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Little boys are so wonderful! The hot purple stroller would have been cute but maybe next time! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for boys! That is crazy though... Good luck on picking a name :) And long babies do not mean huge babies - trust me! I went to the doctor yesterday and they said we will have a long baby but not "big". You and I are going to have tall boys to raise! So exciting :) Love you and take care! - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes. I knew it.
    Welcome to the boys club! They're lots of fun and you spend less money on clothes because the boys section is never as cute as the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh that is sooooo crazy!! surprise its a boy! well Gabriel and Carys can still be BFF! congrats on the baby BOY! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stick with the purple stroller... it's a great color!!
    When you posted it was a girl I told Jeff that there was a big chance it could still be a boy and that his ding-a-ling was just hiding. Either way the baby will loved immensely by everyone!!

    Baci Claudia & Gian! Parabens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my! I'm behind. Congratulations! We will still invite your little man to tea parties ;)

    ReplyDelete