Saturday, September 18, 2010

32 week round up

1. Weird Belly
Throughout my pregnancy, I have definitely noticed that I have a weird shaped belly. People tell me, pictures tell me, my gut instinct tells me. But I always thought, OK, maybe it's just because it is the beginning of the pregnancy, and with time it will fill out and I will have the perfect little round basketball other women have. But no, with only 8 weeks left, I still have a stomach that is clearly divided in two, between my uterus and stomach. Do you see it? It looks like my baby is trying to push himself out through my skin.




2. Hospital

I am giving birth on the Tiber Island in Rome. It is a very small island situated between Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto, and very close to home! The island is very small, and contains the Fate Bene Fratelli hospital, a small church, and a few cafe's. The hospital is recognized as one of, if not the, best in Rome for maternal care and delivery. Historically, the island is associated as a place of healing as many plague and leper victims were quarantined to life on the island. There is a legend which says that after the fall of the hated tyrant Tarquinius Superbus (510 BC), the angry Romans threw his body into the Tiber. His body then settled onto the bottom where dirt and silt accumulated around it and eventually formed Tiber Island. Pretty interesting place to be born!



3. Lamaze

We have started Lamaze and parental preparation classes which we love! It is a time tog et together with other first-time-moms-to-be and ask questions and just feel more relaxed about everything that is coming to us. However, the last lesson was about the first signs of labor, when to go to the hospital, etc, and Gian and I started freaking out during class. I felt like I was having a panic attack and couldn't breathe. Gian kept looking at me and saying "Are you hot? I am so hot. Is it hot in here? I think they have the heat on." We calmed ourselves down, but I have to admit I am still terrified.

4. Sister and brother

My sister and brother-in-law were visiting for a couple of weeks, split between Rome and Avellino. My sister helped me to get ready for the baby and she threw me a wonderful baby shower, of which I have NO PICTURES! We showed Italians, Bulgarians, Mozambicans, and Brits what a baby shower is all about! Here is the new furniture she helped me pick out for baby Gabriel's clothes:






5. Growth sonogram

I scheduled my growth sonogram for when my sister was in town so that she could meet her nephew and godson. Everything went wonderfully and my baby is a big one! At 31 weeks, he was already 4.8 pounds and the doctor predicted a 8.8 baby by my delivery date. His head is already in position down under, pressing every day against my bladder, and since I am so tall, he has enough room to be "laying out like he is sun bathing" which is why I don't have a ball-shaped belly.

After what happened at the last sonogram, I asked my doctor to confirm AGAIN that it is indeed a boy, so she looked around for the penis. As she found it, I looked at Gian who mouthed to me "It's big!" Haha. Such a proud daddy.

I have gained 6 kilos so far, which is equivalent to 13 pounds. I feel really good about that! Hopefully I don't blow up these last few weeks...

6 comments:

  1. you look so great claud!! that is so awesome about the place where Gabriel will be born...cool history behind it. hang in there, mama!! 8 more weeks :) so happy for you & your hubs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 13 pounds! Wow i better slow my roll! :) Glad you had fun with Dani in town! Can't wait to see pics of Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky!!! i cant believe you've only gained 13 lbs!! i think i gained like 60... when i look at pictures of myself when i was preggers i am disgusted... thank god there are only like 10 pics of my fat pregnant self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS sorry i couldn't make your baby shower, i would have loved to be there! but i'll be sending Gabriel a little something in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your belly looks very round and perfect! Also you look great!

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 things

    1. your dresser/tv look just like mine
    2. your belly looks just like mine

    ReplyDelete