Monday, September 6, 2010

30 weeks and so emotional

We are finally 30 weeks pregnant! I feel like I have been waiting for this milestone for forever. On the one hand I am so excited to meet our son, but on the other I just feel like I don't know what in the hell I am doing and I need to vent. How did my life change so much in 4 years? I met Gian, got engaged, got married (twice), bought a house, and got pregnant on the honeymoon. All happy changes, but still major life changes! The fact that Italy has become my home, and that I will forever live far from my family and best friends, has just recently been absorbed into my head. It all feels much more final, now. I mean, I always knew it was final, but the repercussions of it have just hit home. My dad had a heart attack a few weeks ago, and not being able to be there brought on guilt, insecurity and fear.

I think my feelings towards major life changes are further compounded by my utter sense of helplessness. Up until now, I have been swimming 500 metres a few times a week at the pool or in the sea, been capable of doing the laundry, dishes, food shopping, etc. But now, every little chore is a major stress on my body. I am so tired, my back is worn out, my legs hurt if I walk more than 20 minutes, I can't stand up for more than a couple of minutes, I need sturdy chairs with good backs at restaurants (which is not always a given in Italy!). Just doing the laundry, I need Gian's help because I can't bend over and pick up the clothes from the machine. And then I feel like this horrible, nagging wife because from the moment Gian walks in the door from his 10-hour work day, I am asking for help in some way to finish some banal task. He does everything with grace, but I know he is tired, too. He is the bread winner in the family and works so hard. I will be fine and happy and then all of my frustration will come to the surface and I take it out on Gian. Then I go through the guilt process of being mean and maybe a bit hurtful to Gian, a very patient and loving husband. It's a constant cycle.

This stresses me out even further when I fast forward 3-4 months and we have a newborn, we are both sleep deprived, and are completely lost in the delicacy and newness of having a very fragile human life in our responsibility! This is huge. Having a baby is a big deal! And to make matters worse, neither of us have family close by to help (although my mom is coming for 2 months in November). I just keep telling myself that all these fears are normal and bithcyness is caused by hormones (I keep telling Gian this, too) and hope that once I see my baby everything will click and fall into place. It does right? Am I a bad mother already?

4 comments:

  1. First a clarification in case of stupid misunderstandings: Claudia got married twice, but always with the same person, me!
    Moving on to serious topics, I just want to say that you already are a mother fantastic. Even more you 've surprised me a lot for what you have done so far in these 30 weeks, for the strength you have shown and for all the fun we share. In fact I feel guilty for all the effort I made you do, but if by now you look like a preggo model it is 'also because I've always kept in shape. now it 's time to rest a bit' more 'and there are no problems, I am ready to help. I am proud of you and Gabriel and I know how and 'hard for you it is being away from your family especially when your father had that problem.
    You know however that my mother is very ready to help on everything, even if sometimes in danger of being stuffy.
    I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything you are feeling is so normal claud! being pregnant is hard work and being bitchy is part of being pregnant. i went through the guilt w/ being mean and hurtful to chris and i still do! the bitchyness has continued even after carys was born... it may actually be worse bc taking care of an infant is stressful but you will have good days and bad days and you'll get through it. you're a strong woman and you're going to be a wonderful mother! only 10 weeks to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia im proud of you! i know youre doing great, and i also agree that being irritable while pregnant must be inevitable! love you..
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice! I guess you all had a great time! Looking forward to see your pictures in one personalized photo books.i would love too see few more blogs from your side.Read more

    thanks & keep sharing

    ReplyDelete